Tired of the negative news? Downside got you upside down?
Well, I for one am tired of hearing the word "economy" partnered up with the word "down" and in the vocabulary of almost everyone I meet. Leadership is about influence and the only thing that negative news can do is lead you down the path to more negative where you increase your self-doubt and start sabotaging all that is good around you.
And, with all of the negativity these days, it's bound to cause stress. Speaking from past experience, there's no upside to stress.
Without belaboring the subject because you already know what it does to you and your health, I'd like to share 9 ways to destress on your way to amazing success.
Imagine shooting a laser beam straight at the targeted area and launching!
1. Get Out! Exercise dampens stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol, stimulating "feel-good" neurotransmitters called endorphins. Over time, it can produce a natural high in which your body is at peace and your internal dialogue is quiet. Sweet!
2. Head to the Spa! Besides the benefits of taking time to relax, recharge and renew yourself, massage relaxes stress-contracted muscles, increasing blood flow to the heart, helping it to beat more slowly. Not that you needed an excuse to pamper yourself!
3. Go Ohm! Sign up for a yoga class to understand the reason why people in India have done it since 5,000 BC. Yoga uses postures, breath control and meditation to bring together the energy of body, mind, and spirit. The controlled breathing and meditation reduce stress. And, that's a fact!
4. Laugh It Up! A hearty chuckle aids your digestion, stimulates your circulation, increases your "feel-good" endorphins, and awakens your immune system. No joke!
5. Turn Up the Tunes! Research shows that music changes us. Rocking out with a stronger beat stimulates the brain and promotes alertness. Slip into slower melodies to create a calmer, meditative state in the body. Try Dr. Emoto's CD if you want your whole body to be warm and fuzzy. Mmm!
6. Practice Presence! Meditation used to just be for the new-age movement but now it's gone mainstream. Why? Because meditation fights stress by giving us the benefits of being fully engaged in the present moment which means no worries about the future or the past. While there are techniques to help you slow down, like deep breathing or repeating a mantra, nothing beats lighting a candle, putting on some quiet music and clearing your mind. So, slow down!
7. Find a Friend! Stress + Connection = Stressed Out Connection? No silly! Stress + Connection = Support. Friendship keeps you from feeling isolated and alone. Sharing your feelings with someone helps to move forward. We're not talking about dumping but if you lend a shoulder and bend an ear, all of your stress will disappear!
8. Jump into Action! Distract your psyche with a whole host of activities. Scrapbook. Dance. Stamp it up. Play tennis. Swim. Bust out the Sudoko puzzle. Go fishing. Go bowling. Ride a motorcycle. Knit. Learn Spanish. Do ceramics. Draw. Plant a garden. Golf. Now, get going!
9. Ride the Upside! Self-talk is the endless stream of thoughts that runs through your head each and every day. Pay attention to what yours say. It's easy to slip into negative self-talk, making assumptions and finding fault in what you're doing or not doing. Recognize when you start to spiral downward and replace those thought with more upside ones.